This Chicken Taco Soup is a party soup. The kind of soup you take to a party, eat with friends, while drinking beer. Preferably homemade beer (thanks John!) It’s incredibly easy to make and more fun to share. Just make sure you have big bowls and big spoons because there’s a lot going on here.
Like tacos, this soup is all about the toppings. Corn chips, black olives, green onions, sour cream, cheddar cheese and jalapenos.
There’s a method to this madness. The corn chips are more of a base than a topping. A good handful in the bottom of the bowl will suffice. Next is the soup, then the cheese. It’s important to put the cheese on top of the soup so it gets all melty. Lastly is the sour cream, olives and green onions. John loads up with a bunch of jalapenos, which I prefer to skip.
Don’t wait for a get-together to make this. This recipe makes a ton of soup and freezes well, which means a lot of leftovers for a family of four.
- 1 T canola oil
- 2 lb. ground chicken
- 2 small yellow onions, diced
- 1 14.5 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 15.5 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 15.5 oz cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 4.5 oz cans diced green chilies
- 1 1 oz. package ranch salad dressing mix
- 1 1.25 oz package low sodium taco seasoning
- 10 oz bag frozen corn, thawed
- toppings: corn chips, jalapenos, choppped green onions, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese
- Bring a stock pot to medium high heat. Add oil and brown ground chicken and onions.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, chilies ranch and taco seasoning to the stock pot. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and allow to simmer for 1 hour.
- Add corn, and allow it to heat through, about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with toppings.
Slow Cooker Directions: Brown the chicken and onions in a large skillet. Pour into a slow cooker along with the rest of the soup ingredients. Mix well. Cook in slow cooker on low for 5 hours.
Adapted from Paula Deen