Everett has been a little obsessed with everything Hershey since we paid a visit to Hershey Park this past summer. He revisits our vacation by getting on the Hershey Park website and ‘virtually’ riding the roller coasters from his desk chair. (This is quite a site to behold – as he watches videos of roller coasters, he’s thrown his hands up over his head, he’s swaying with the turns and screaming as the coaster rushes down steep hills.) While browsing the website he stumbled upon a recipe for Peanut Butter Blossoms and begged me to make them.
We gathered the ingredients from the pantry and all was going well until I opened the peanut butter. The jar was nearly empty, there was enough peanut butter left for half a sandwich, maybe. So we grabbed the Nutella, because it’s kind of like peanut butter, only better! Since we’re mixing things up, why not throw in that sad, lonely, over ripe banana sitting in the fruit basket.
I’m ashamed to admit how many of these cookies we devoured, right out of the oven. The Hershey kisses were all melty and gooey and heavenly. The cookies were crisp and chewy, with just a hint of banana. The only thing this cookie needed was a glass of milk.
|Nutella Banana Blossoms||
- 60 Hershey Kisses, unwrapped
- ½ c shortening
- ⅓ c sugar
- ⅓ c brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 t baking soda
- ¾ c nutella
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 c flour
- ¼ t salt
- turbinado sugar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Using an electric hand mixer, cream together the shortening, nutella and sugars until fluffy.
- Add the egg, vanilla and banana.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Stir flour into nutella/banana mixture.
- Cover and place mix in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls then roll in turbinado sugar. Place cookie dough on parchment line baking sheets, leaving 2 inches of space between cookies.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately place a hershey kiss in the center of each cookie. Allow cookies to cool on pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack.